If All You See…

…is a very bright world from too much carbon pollution, you might just be a Warmist

The blog of the day is The Other McCain, with a post on feminism and sex.

Read: If All You See… »

Apparently, No One Asked Most Powerful Man In World If He Wanted To Attend Paris Anti-Terrorism March

Obama’s aides were apparently caught off guard or something

White House was out of step as Paris march grew
Aides were caught off-guard by Sunday’s event.

Wait, White House aides said Sunday, as they saw coverage come in of the anti-terrorism march in Paris — Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko is there? Jordan’s King Abdullah? The presidents of Gabon, Benin, Niger? Not to mention the leaders of the United Kingdom, Germany, Spain, Italy and other major allies — and even Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov?

Somehow an event that the French didn’t even announce until Friday had quickly gathered momentum, drawing about three dozen foreign leaders to Paris to express their outrage at the killings of French citizens at a satire magazine and a Jewish supermarket last week. America’s representative, Ambassador Jane Hartley, looked a little out of place.

Here’s the money line

White House aides were so caught off guard by the march’s massive size and attention that they hadn’t even asked President Barack Obama if he wanted to go.

Why is it even necessary to ask the POTUS if he wants to attend what was shaping up to be one of the biggest anti-terrorism marches of all time in the wake of the attacks? Especially when he had absolutely nothing on his weekend schedule. Nor did VP Joe Biden have any scheduled events.

This just goes to show how out of step, incompetent, and tone deaf this administration and its leader are. It is cute how Politico attempts to blame White House staff, rather than the man holding the most powerful position in the world.

BTW, the talking point about the Secret Service having concern about attendance is a bunch of mule fritters, since they were never asked by the White House.

A second BTW, Salon makes a good point (shockingly) about everyone ignoring the suicide bombing in Tripoli over the Paris terrorism, and that all lives matter. Interesting, because they, like most lefties, had a big problem with #AllLivesMatter at the time. Their point is important, though. During the month of December there were 233 jihad attacks, killing 2497 and wounding 2225. An Islamic cleric has stated that the Pope should be killed for insulting Islam. 3 Muslims were arrested in Canada. Hundreds of Tanzanian girls were in hiding from genital mutilation. A Saudi cleric has declared snowmen as anti-Islamic.

Via Jammie Wearing Fools.

Read: Apparently, No One Asked Most Powerful Man In World If He Wanted To Attend Paris Anti-Terrorism March »

Keystone XL Bill Clears First Senate Vote

One of Obama’s complaints in saying he would veto any Keystone XL pipeline legislation was that there was a lawsuit pending in Nebraska. That lawsuit was thrown out a few days ago, leading John Boehner to say “President Obama is now out of excuses for blocking the Keystone pipeline and the thousands of American jobs it would create. Finally, it’s time to start building.”

(AP) Legislation approving construction of the Keystone XL oil pipeline cleared an initial Senate hurdle Monday, a victory for newly empowered Republicans angling for a quick veto showdown with President Barack Obama.

The bipartisan 63-32 vote was three more than the 60 required, and well above the level the highly controversial measure ever gained in recent years when Democrats controlled the Senate.

A final vote will be taken this week, then it will be sent to Obama’s desk.

It added that not all the employment would be newly created, though. It said some of the jobs would be “continuity of existing jobs in current or new locations,” a distinction often overlooked by the bill’s supporters.

Once the proposed project opens, it will require “approximately 50 total employees in the United States: 35 permanent employees and 15 temporary contractors,” the State Department estimated.

That’s the way it works in construction. Then the workers move onto other projects. Are 42K jobs for two years a bad thing? The entire Stimulus was set up to create jobs for short term projects, as were the smaller stimulus packages passed by Democrats in 2009 and 2010. Obama constantly talks about infrastructure programs, which, again, would create short term jobs.

Of course, it is interesting that Obama has been touting the rise in domestic oil production, and the huge decrease in gasoline prices. One would think he would want the pipeline, especially since the gasoline price decrease has put some $100 billion into the pockets of Americans, mostly through the gas price decrease. Of course

Zycher, a former UCLA economist who also served on President Reagan’s President’s Council of Economic Advisers, called it “rather disingenuous for the president to take credit for the decline in oil prices and gasoline prices and the increase in incomes generated by increasing production.”

He added: “It’s somewhat amusing. He’s taking credit for an increase in production that has happened largely on private land and had nothing to do with federal government policies.”

The Canadian tar sands oil is going to be transported one way or the other. A pipeline is a lot safer than rail and truck. Fortunately, Canada has waited, rather than moving ahead and sending it to China. If Obama vetoes the legislation, they may not wait any longer.

Read: Keystone XL Bill Clears First Senate Vote »

Next Charlie Hebdo Edition To Feature Mohammed Cover

Sadly, neither the NY Times nor Fox News actually feature the cover in their articles. Nor does CNN (for some reason the article is in the money section). Nor the UK Telegraph. The USA Today is one of the few brave outlets to show the new cover

The latest issue of French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo, published by survivors of last week’s deadly terror attack, features a cover cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed holding a sign that says “Je suis Charlie,” an echo of the slogan of support for freedom of speech that spread across the globe after the tragedy.

The news agency Agence France-Presse on Monday distributed a copy of the new cover, which carries a caption that reads “Tout est pardonne,” which translates into English as all is forgiven.

USA TODAY traditionally does not show images of Mohammed to avoid offending Muslim readers. But the magazine cover has enough news value to warrant its publication in this case.

Huh. Do they have the same policy regarding publishing images that offend readers of different faiths and beliefs? Oh, right, paper doesn’t have to be worried about serious and significant threats of violence from those others.

Of course, the cover photo cannot be hosted on my Photobucket account, because it would be quickly whacked, like any others, despite being a paid account and hidden behind a passwords.

Remaining Charlie Hebdo staff on Tuesday said an unprecedented run of 3 million copies of the next issue Wednesday were planned. “Three million people will have Mohammed’s, the prophet’s drawing, at home,” Zineb El Rhazoui, a columnist for the newspaper, told the BBC. The remaining staff previously said that a million copied would be published.

“We will not give in. The spirit of ‘I am Charlie’ means the right to blaspheme,” lawyer Richard Malka told France Info radio.

The press run is a huge jump from the normal circulation of 60,000 copies and reflects the strong outpouring of support from the public, including a show of solidarity by 1.5 million people in central Paris on Sunday.

BTW, good for far left sites Talking Points Memo and Gawker for including the photo in their articles.

Crossed at Right Wing News.

Read: Next Charlie Hebdo Edition To Feature Mohammed Cover »

Hey, Obama Didn’t Go To France, But He Did Sign Condolence Book!

Poor Marie Harf, she was today’s sacrificial lamb sent to slaughter, and she didn’t like it very much

(National Review)  Looks like somebody forgot to pass State Department deputy press secretary Marie Harf the memo.

As White House press secretary Josh Earnest ate crow over the Obama administration’s failure to send a high-ranking official to Sunday’s massive anti-terror march in Paris, Harf remained defiant in the face of similar questions from the State Department press corps.

Exhausted by a series of questions on the absence of President Obama, Secretary of State John Kerry, and even Attorney General Eric Holder — who was in Paris the day of the march — Harf lashed out at the State Department press corps.

“I would like to see how many minutes we spend on Boko Haram compared to a march, I just want to point that out to people,” she said testily, referencing an attack by the Islamic terror group that killed thousands in Nigeria last week. “I know, I know. I’m just pointing it out. Making it a little commentary there.”

Say, Marie, what’s going on with that #BringOurGirlsBack movement? How has the O administration helped?

“There are more ways than just this march to show our solidarity with the French,” she insisted. “And I think that’s what I would underscore . . . It is not the only way to show solidarity. And the secretary certainly would’ve been there if he could, and he’s looking forward to going there on Thursday.”

At around the 1:05 mark she mentions that Obama (and Kerry) went to the French embassy to sign the condolence books. He did. Thursday evening. A 3.4 mile drive. He can get on a plane and fly to Vegas for a fundraiser the day after the US consulate and CIA annex where attacked in Libya, where American citizens, including our Ambassador, were killed, yet can’t fly to France with multiple days notice, nor even send a high ranking official. But, hey, he took 30 minutes out of his day to sign a book.

It’s probably a Bad Idea to get snippy with a member of the French press, as well.

Read: Hey, Obama Didn’t Go To France, But He Did Sign Condolence Book! »

If All You See…

…is a sea that is rising hundreds of feet and will flood drought areas, you might just be a Warmist

The blog of the day is The Lonely Conservative, with a post reminding us of why we dislike Jeb Bush.

What say we make this French week, shall we? Not as easy as it sounds. Quite a few search terms bring up photos of French maid costumes.

Read: If All You See… »

Bummer: We’re Totally Like The Last Generation That Can Solve Hotcoldwetdry

And who should handle it? The United Nations, of course, per UN General Weasel Ban Ki Moon. Even though they have quite a bit on their plate

We are the last generation that can fight climate change. We have a duty to act

This year the UN marks its 70th anniversary. Sadly, there is little time for reflection or celebration. More pressing are the competing demands and challenges fuelled by an upsurge in conflict, disease and human suffering. These compel the international community to step up and provide the leadership needed to tackle them.

Ebola continues to plague west Africa. For some of the affected countries, struggling to overcome the effects of bitter civil war, the outbreak has been a major setback for development. We are beginning to see some improvements. During my visit to the region in December, I was deeply moved by the efforts of local Ebola responders and health workers from across Africa and the world. But rebuilding shattered lives and economies will require significantly more resources and long-term commitment.

As conflicts raged and extremism rose, 2014 pushed the UN’s humanitarian, peacekeeping and diplomatic efforts to the limit. More than 100 million people needed assistance. An unprecedented number of UN troops and police are deployed in highly volatile security environments.

Then we have things like the Syrian civil war and the use of chemical weapons. What he calls the “appalling terrorist attack in Paris” without mentioning the religion involved. And a “long list of hot spots stretching from Nigeria to Yemen, from the rise in fighting in Darfur to the transition in Afghanistan”. Ukraine. The Palestinian/Israel issue. One would think the U.N. already had enough to do. But, no

But in a year marked by turmoil, UN member states have also proposed an initial draft set of sustainable development goals that will guide anti-poverty efforts for the next generation. Further negotiations will begin this month and culminate at a special summit in New York in September with the adoption of a development agenda that can help tackle inequality, empower women and girls, and promote shared prosperity.

Interesting how, when implemented, most far left Progressive programs cause failure and a decline in standards. See “Detroit”.

Ours is the first generation that can end poverty, and the last that can take steps to avoid the worst impacts of climate change. In this 70th anniversary year in which we renew our commitment to the goals and principles of the UN charter, the international community must rise to the moment.

And to do this, Warmists will take lots of fossil fueled flights to New York in September, then more to Paris in December. Huzzah! If Warmists would follow their own doctrine of not having children, we could make this the last generation that gives a damn about this fantasy issue.

Read: Bummer: We’re Totally Like The Last Generation That Can Solve Hotcoldwetdry »

Sham Theater: Democrats To Push Redistribution Plan To “Combat Inequality”

Now that Democrats have been reduced to a minority party in the Senate, having lost the House in the 2010 elections, they’ve decided they are going to push a redistributive taxation plan, with no chance of success

Democrats, in a stark shift in messaging, to make big tax-break pitch for middle class

Senior Democrats, dissatisfied with the party’s tepid prescriptions for combating income inequality, are drafting an “action plan” that calls for a massive transfer of wealth from the super-rich and Wall Street traders to the heart of the middle class.

The centerpiece of the proposal, set to be unveiled Monday by Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), is a “paycheck bonus credit” that would shave $2,000 a year off the tax bills of couples earning less than $200,000. Other provisions would nearly triple the tax credit for child care and reward people who save at least $500 a year.

The windfall — about $1.2 trillion over a decade — would come directly from the pockets of Wall Street “high rollers” through a new fee on financial transactions, and from the top 1 percent of earners, who would lose billions of dollars in lucrative tax breaks.

There is zero chance of this getting passed in either the House or Senate. It will probably not even make it out of committee. This is a cute little stunt designed to dupe people into thinking that Democrats care.

The plan also would use the tax code to prod employers to boost wages, which have been stagnant for four decades despite gains in productivity and profits.

I wonder if they would take responsibility when workers are shifted to part time or are replaced with technology?

With Republicans in control on Capitol Hill, Democrats have little hope of pushing the plan through Congress. Instead, they are looking to craft an alternative to GOP plans to cut tax rates for the top earners, and to shape a new Democratic agenda for 2016 that offers voters the promise of genuine change.

In other words, this is a game to Democrats, who could have attempted this when they had full control of Congress from 2007 through 2010, as well as pushing it during the past 2 years when they had full control of the Senate.

“We need a pro-growth economic agenda,” said Rep. Richard E. Neal (Mass.), a senior Democrat on the influential House Ways and Means Committee. “We need to embrace the traditional Democratic positions of optimism and aspiration.”

In Liberal World, pro-growth means taking from some and giving to others, rather than creating the atmosphere where people can succeed. All we need to do is look to Detroit and other Liberal cities to see how these policies work. This is class warfare from a party that receives vast amounts of funding from 1%ers and is mostly run by 1%ers.

Read: Sham Theater: Democrats To Push Redistribution Plan To “Combat Inequality” »

John Kerry Attempts To Defend U.S. No Show At Paris March

He calls this failure “quibbling”

(Fox News) Secretary of State John Kerry called criticism that no top U.S. officials attended Sunday’s massive march against terrorism in Paris “quibbling” Monday, even as he announced a trip to the French capital later this week for talks on countering Islamist violence.

Kerry announced his plans at a press conference in the Indian city of Ahmedabad, where he had made a long-scheduled appearance at an international investment conference Sunday ahead of President Barack Obama’s planned visit to that country later this month.

“I would have personally very much wanted to have been [in Paris],” Kerry said, “but couldn’t do so because of the commitment that I had here and it is important to keep these kinds of commitments.”

When asked about criticism directed at the Obama administration for not sending a high-ranking official to take part in the march, Kerry said, “I really think that this is sort of quibbling a little bit in the sense that our Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland was there and marched, our ambassador [to France Jane Hartley] was there and marched, many people from the embassy were there and marched.”

Unfortunately, Victoria Nuland was not present in Paris. Instead, she attended a march in Washington, D.C.

Anyhow, it is understandable that Kerry was not able to get away from his commitment. How about Obama? Where was he Sunday? How about Vice President Joe Biden? VPs are typically sent off for functions like this, and especially since the whole reason Obama picked him as his running mate in 2008 was for his foreign policy experience.

Did either even attend the march in D.C.? We know that Biden was actually in Delaware. Obama apparently had to stay in town to visit with the San Antonio Spurs on Monday.

Eric Holder was Paris, and failed to appear for the march.

“I want to emphasize that the relationship with France is not about one day or one particular moment,” Kerry said. “It is an ongoing longtime relationship that is deeply, deeply based in the shared values, and particularly the commitment that we share to freedom of expression.”

“No single act of terror, no two people with  a AK-47s, no hostage-taking at a grocery store is ever going to prevent those who are committed to the march for freedom to continue to march and to ultimately see all people enjoy their rights, to be able to enjoy the protections that come with that freedom,” he added.

Sounds a bit like some excuse making

https://twitter.com/passantino/status/554454870627872769

When you’ve lost the NY Daily News…

Crossed at Right Wing News.

Read: John Kerry Attempts To Defend U.S. No Show At Paris March »

Obama, Shockingly, Misses Paris March, As Does Guy He Sent

https://twitter.com/HollyRFisher/status/554369212203155459

Really, shouldn’t that chair have wheels? Or be

Via Instapundit, who also points to Twitchy, where we also learn

Read: Obama, Shockingly, Misses Paris March, As Does Guy He Sent »

Pirate's Cove