On one hand, weeding out wackos from being able to legally buy a handgun isn’t that bad an idea. On the other hand, this is damned intrusive
(NJ.com) Individuals seeking a permit to buy firearms in New Jersey would have to submit results of a psychological evaluation before they could buy a gun, under a bill introduced yesterday in the Legislature by West New York Assemblywoman Angelica Jimenez.
The measure would also require applicants to have an on-site inspection and evaluation of the household where the firearm would be located.
The bill was one of 18 introduced yesterday by several lawmakers in the state Senate and Assembly intended to curb gun violence in New Jersey, which already has some of the nation’s toughest gun laws.
In addition to Jimenez’ mandatory psychological screenings, bills call for home inspections for those who want to buy firearms; having prospective buyers list the members of their households with mental illnesses; requiring sales of ammunition be face-to-face; and further shrinking bullet magazines’ capacities from 15 to five or 10.
Well, now, that doesn’t seem to intrusive, does it? Home inspections? Psych evaluations? Does anyone else expect that most people would fail what would be highly burdensome and onerous tests?
And, yes, NJ still has gun violence despite the strict laws already in place.
There are also some interesting comments
- justmy2sense: What an idiot. NJ and West New York doesn’t have anything better for her to be working on? Why not psychological testing for a drivers license or to buy fertilizer and diesel fuel? If a mentally ill person wants to kill, they will find a way. This would solve nothing, not to mention the fact it would be a nightmare to the administer.
- rightwaynj: Not a bad plan, except for the U.S constitution and the U.S supreme court
- Putuporshutup: This is exactly why we are screwed in this state and country. We have elected officials who think they are playing a game with the legislature. More gun laws for NJ. Another unintelligent knee jerk reaction. Jimenez should not be allowed to even speak. We all see what a bang up job you are doing in good old West New York. PLEASE READ: YOUR LAW WILL ONLY AFFECT THE ALREADY LAW ABIDING CITIZENS NOT THE SCUMBAGS YOU SHOULD BE TARGETING. Now, go away you dope!
- ironbound1: I say, we submit all potential drivers who apply for a license renewal to psychological tests. I encounter far more crazy drivers on a daily basis than crazy gun owners for my entire life.
- loudaman: Great idea and I think we should expand it to other facets of our lives. We need a law that makes it illegal for over weight people to patronize fast food restaurants. They are only allowed fruits and vegetables until their weight conforms to the national standard. Only then, would they be allowed to have a Big Mac. I wonder how Assemblywoman Jimenez would feel about that one?
Democrats/liberals/progressives/fascists would love a way to come into people’s homes and “evaluate” them.